Saturday, May 1, 2010

A precious moment

This afternoon I was busy cleaning the bathroom in our master bedroom. Our window from our room overlooks a neighborhood park and ball field. As I went past the window I happened to look out and I saw a dad playing at the ball field with his little boy who looked to be around 3 or 4 years old. I stood and watched them for a couple of minutes and just had to smile as I saw this dad run the bases with his son and as he came to home plate he threw up his arms in triumph as did the little boy copying his dad. It just totally made my day watching that moment and I just had to come back and peek a few more times as I continued to clean. They must of been out there for almost an hour! I wonder if this dad even realized the impact he was making in the young life of his little boy.

A few hours later I was driving home from our local fitness center and I happened to drive by another young father walking along his little girl riding her tricycle. I also observed some other dads outside playing in their yards with their kids. Is there something in the air today? I don't really think so. I think there are a lot of good dads still out there that love and enjoy being with their families. I'm thankful that I was able to take notice of these precious moments today. Not only was it a blessing to see other men who are taking a loving role in the life of their children but it made me reflect on my own husband's role that he has played in the life of our own children. He has from day one played an active part in the love and care of our kids as they've gone from childhood into adulthood. I am so very thankful that he has been faithful, loving and supportive over the years. He is a wonderful father and husband.

I could turn this around now and start to reflect on all the non-supportive dad's out in the world. There are certainly plenty of deadbeat dad's who have wounded and abandoned their families just to live out their selfish desires. But today I choose not to focus on them. Today I want to give a shout out to all the dad's out there that have decided to stay on the path of living faithful and honoring lives. Our world is a better place because of their strength. Because that is exactly what it is. Strength. It takes a strong man to be able to keep his mind focused on his family. It takes strong character to remain faithful. I believe their reward will come as their children grown into adulthood and they take on the same strength and character and live out the legacy their dad's have given them. It is truly a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment